Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month
February is Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month.
Every day, 4 Australian women are diagnosed and 3 women will die from ovarian cancer. It is the most underfunded and the deadliest female cancer in Australia. Furthermore, ovarian cancer has the lowest survival rate of any women’s cancer – a fact that hasn’t changed in 30 years. It is therefore time for change. It’s time to ovary-act.
Symptoms of ovarian cancer
There is no early detection test for ovarian cancer; so all women need to be aware of the symptoms. The most commonly reported symptoms for ovarian cancer are:
- Increased abdominal size or persistent abdominal bloating
- Abdominal or pelvic pain
- Feeling full after eating a small amount
- Needing to urinate often or urgently
- Changes in bowel habits
- Unexplained weight gain or loss
- Excessive fatigue
- Lower back pain
- Indigestion or nausea
- Bleeding after menopause or in-between periods
- Pain during sex or bleeding after
It is important to know that all symptoms mentioned above can be caused by other, less serious medical conditions. However, if you are experiencing any of these symptoms, which are persistent and troublesome, you should see your doctor. If you are uncomfortable with your doctor’s diagnosis or you are still concerned about unexplained persistent symptoms, you should seek a second opinion.
You know your body better that anyone else so listen to what your body is saying. Trust your instincts.
Teal Ribbon Day 2019
Teal Ribbon Day is held every year on the last Wednesday in February. This year it’s on Wednesday 27 February. It is a day to support Australians living with ovarian cancer and to also honour those we have lost. In addition, it raises awareness of this deadly disease to change the story for future generations.
Four easy ways to make a difference:
- Buy and wear a teal ribbon. You can show your support and help Ovarian Cancer Australia save lives and further ensure no woman with ovarian cancer walks alone.
- Paint the Town Teal. Host a Paint the Town Teal fundraising event to support women living with ovarian cancer and their families.
- Make a donation. Your generous gift will make a meaningful contribution to specialised supports for women and their families. It will also bring attention to awareness raising campaigns and high-impact research programs.
- Talk about it. Add your voice to the chorus. For instance, share messages of awareness and action on social media.
Chiro & Sports Med
Our chiropractors at Chiro & Sports Med are committed to providing chiropractic solutions to address your unique needs, whether you are experiencing an irritated nerve, bulging disc, back pain, neck pain, knee pain, headaches, or even muscular tightness and tension. You may be searching for pain relief after an accident or experiencing an injury. Our mission is to help reduce or eliminate pain and to prevent future problems and injury. Above all, we are here to improve your quality of life, well-being, and your ability to live an active healthy lifestyle.