A simple conversation among two mates about the disappearance of the moustache in 2003 led to an idea that resulted in Movember. 18 years later, Movember has campaigns in 21 countries and has raised more than $1,229,000 since 2003 and funded over 1,320 men’s health programs.
The three key men’s health issues that Movember focuses on are prostate cancer, testicular cancer, mental health, and suicide prevention.
What Movember is doing to help men
Movember is the leading charity changing the face of men’s health. Men are dying on average six years earlier than women and experience worse longer-term health than women. Prostate cancer rates are expected to double in the next 15 years. Testicular cancer rates have already doubled in the last 50. Furthermore, three-quarters of suicides are men. Globally, half a million men take their own life every year. That’s one every minute.
Consequently, bringing light to these important issues means Movember’s goal of reducing the number of men dying prematurely by 25% by 2030 is possible. Most importantly, The Movember Foundation funds ground-breaking projects all over the world. As a result, they bring experts together from around the world to collaborate on solutions that change the way men are treated and supported.
Top five things men should know about their health
- Make man time. Stay connected to your mates. Spending time with them is important and good for you. Catch up regularly and make time.
- Have open conversations. Being there for someone, listening, and giving your time can be life-saving. Reaching out to your mates is crucial.
- Know the numbers. At 50, talk to your doctor about prostate cancer and whether you need a PSA test. If you’re of African or Caribbean descent or have a father or brother with prostate cancer, you should be having this conversation at 45.
- Testicular cancer. Get to know what’s normal for your testicles. Check them regularly and go to the doctor if something isn’t right.
- Move, more. Add more activity to your day. Do more of what makes you feel good.
Movember is very easy and a lot of fun to take part in. Firstly, you can grow a moustache. Secondly, get moving. You can commit to running or walking 60km over the month. That’s 60km for every 60 men we lose to suicide each hour. Finally, you can host an event. Call on family and friends to back you with a donation and help support a very important cause.
Above all, get involved this Movember and spark a conversation about men’s health. Because our fathers, brothers, and friends all need our support.
Chiro & Sports Med
Our chiropractors at Chiro & Sports Med are committed to providing chiropractic solutions to address your unique needs, whether you are experiencing an irritated nerve, bulging disc, back pain, neck pain, knee pain, headaches, or even muscular tightness and tension. You may be searching for pain relief after an accident or experiencing an injury. Our mission is to help reduce or eliminate pain and to prevent future problems and injuries. Above all, we are here to improve your quality of life, well-being, and ability to live an active healthy lifestyle.
If you would like to make an appointment with one of the chiropractors at Chiro & Sports Med simply call our office on 9817 2005 and one of our friendly staff will organise an appointment for you or you can book online.